Volimes, the mountainous traditional communities of Zakynthos
Local Community of Volimes. It is the Northernmost Local Community of the prefecture and its cape, Schinari, is the Northernmost tip of the island, 35 kilometers from the town of Zakynthos. The name Volimes appears in written texts from 1515. Today it has 956 inhabitants and hosts the Administrative center and the Municipal store of the Unity. Here is the second passenger and commercial port of Zakynthos, connecting it to Pesada in Kefalonia. It is a rural area, while in recent years it has shown great tourism development.
In Volimes, one should visit: - The Blue Caves, located in the Aspros Vrachos area at Cape Skinari. They got their color from the intense blue color they emit that seems to reflect off anything submerged in their waters. They consist of an outer cave and a second smaller one in the background, inside the outer one. One can only visit them by boat, from the neighboring port of Ag. Nikolaou. - The Monastery of Ai George in Gremna, built in 1535. The Tower of the Monastery was built to defend the monks from pirates. The Library of the Monastery, which manuscript codices are found in the Marcian Library of Venice, was of great importance. There are priceless relics in the Monastery. - The Churches: Agia Paraskevi, Agios Theodosios and Agios Spyridon in the lower village of Volimes.
In the Local Community of Volimes you can find authentic local products from: cheese factories and home workshops for the production of the famous Zakynthian butter cheese, home workshops for the production of wine and honey, as well as from cottage industries for the production of handmade lace and kilims.
Local Community of Ano Volimes. It is the most mountainous Local Community of the island, with 475 inhabitants. The village, which dominates the sea, is built on the steep slopes of Mount Brachionas, on Mount Skoulis, and has been mentioned since the 15th century.
The main attractions of the village, which maintains its traditional rural character unchanged, are: - The Church of Agios Dimitrios, preserved from 1780. It was repaired in 1838 and demolished after the earthquakes of 1953. In the current large building of the church, which stands in concrete in another place, the beautiful icons of the old one were placed, together with its wonderful wood-carved and gilded iconostasis. - The Church of the Ascension and its bell tower, which have been preserved since the beginning of the 19th century and were left standing by the earthquakes of 1953. - The Mill of Fragogiannes, recently restored. - The small white chapel of Agia Thekla, which was the property of Anafonitria Monastery, as mentioned in the code of the monastery in 1491. The church underwent several structural changes, was saved from the earthquakes of 1953, and contains important frescoes of an unknown era, part of its old wood-carved and gilded altarpiece, and a double-headed eagle in relief on its floor. Ancient tombs, vessels and shells were found near Agia Thekla. - Mikro Nissi and the beautiful beach of Makris Gialos.
Agios Nikolaos beach
The cove of Agios Nikolaos, thanks to its crystal clear waters, is ideal for swimming and water activities, recommending the best choice for families, couples, but also young people. The beach consists of sand and pebbles and has remained "indestructible" over time, which enables the visitor to enjoy a peaceful and unique landscape of natural beauty. The small port of the bay accommodates all the small boats that carry out tours, to the famous Blue Caves, to the world-famous Shipwreck, as well as ferryboat routes that connect Zakynthos with Pesada in Kefalonia. Of course, the small uninhabited island of Agios Nikolaos, right opposite the beach, is also an attraction of the area. It is worth noting that in the wider area of Agios Nikolaos there are countless rocky coves, which can be reached either by small paths or by a small boat.
Shipwreck Beach “Navagio”
Navagio is one of the most photographed beaches in the world. In many books and magazines it is described as the best attraction of Zakynthos and one of the most famous beaches in Greece. It is a well-known beach on the eastern side of the island, with crystal clear waters, white sand, impressive steep cliffs and the half-submerged wreck of a ship that make up a fantastic scene. It is accessible only by boats, which depart from various areas of the island, such as the town of Zakynthos, Alykes, Agios Nikolaos and Skinari.